Common Ground’s curriculum mixes universally high academic expectations with active, authentic learning opportunities.
Block classes – taught by two teachers, and combining two academic subjects – help us keep the focus on authentic, challenging learning. Block classes offered at Common Ground include:
- Biodiversity, rooted in West Rock Park, and developing student’s understanding of statistical analysis, ecology, and local species diversity
- Drama, built around an intensive residency with the Elm Shakespeare Company
- Environmental Justice, an upper-level science and social studies course that focuses on the environmental challenges facing low-income and urban communities.
- Power, which combines physics and political science to understand energy policy issues in the United States.
- Ecologia, a Spanish and Biology course that uses the school’s garden as its primary learning laboratory.
- Food & Environment, in which students learn the science, politics, and environmental issues behind their food choices.
AP Language and Composition | Senior Writing | British Literature | Research Writing | African Literature | Western Literature | Classics | Local Literature | Senior Writing | Writing Workshop | Novels | Teen Memoirs | American Literature 1 & 2 | Short Stories | Survey of Literature | Fantasy Literature | Poetry | Reading Workshops 1 & 2
AP Calculus (A/B) | Honors Pre-Calculus | Algebra 2 | Geometry | Algebra 1 | Pre-Algebra
AP Environmental Science | Chemistry | Environmental Science 1 & 2 | Biology 1 (Cell Biology, Genetics & Evolution | Bio 2 (Anatomy & Physiology) | Physical Science 1 (Intro to Physics) | PS 2 (Intro to Chemistry | Environmental Research | Science Investigations
Social Studies Courses
AP United States Government | AP European History | U.S. History – Evolving Democracy | U.S. as a Global Power | U.S. Social History | Empires | Global Conflict & Resolution | Documenting New Haven | Economics | Civics | Environmental Ventures | Sustainable Design