Thanks for your interest. This position has been filled. Please see our Join Our Staff page for current openings.
Common Ground — the nation’s oldest environmental charter high school, creating the next generation of successful college students and powerful community and environmental leaders — is seeking two passionate, creative, outstanding science teachers — certified in biology, general science, chemistry, and/or physics. This teacher will have the chance to:
- Teach Common Ground’s core science courses — including biology, chemistry, and physics
- Make full use of two new, state-of-the-art science laboratories and Common Ground’s unique site — an educational farm, adjacent to a state park, within the City of New Haven
- Build a science curriculum that addresses intersections of science and social justice issues, and incorporates culturally relevant content for our student body
- Act as a coach, teacher-leader, and strong team member for Common Ground’s small, dedicated, creative faculty — helping to develop new curriculum and support the full transition to Next Generation Science Standards
- Co-teach interdisciplinary courses that integrate social justice and environmental issues with content from science and other disciplines
Common Ground is seeking outstanding candidates with:
- A passion for our environmental mission and commitment to equitable and sustainable change
- An understanding of the circumstances that low income students and students of color have historically and are presently experiencing and an awareness of the role of individual educators and educational institutions in creating and changing those experiences
- Strong background in Next Generation Science Standards
- Passion and experience for curriculum development
- Prior experience with and commitment to engaging students from racially and economically diverse urban settings
- Appropriate Connecticut certification. Common Ground is seeking teachers certified in biology, chemistry, and physics; multiple certifications particularly valued.
- Bachelor degree, Masters strongly preferred
- A preferred minimum of three years teaching experience, including Advanced Placement
Common Ground is particularly eager for candidates who help us fulfill our commitment to building a racially and culturally diverse faculty.
At Common Ground, a truly diverse community of 195 students from 16 different towns experiences a mix of high academic standards, active learning and leadership opportunities, and small school supports that are producing dramatic educational results. More than 90% of our students are accepted to college, and our students’ graduation rates and test scores have pushed above the state average.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Liz Cox, School Director
Common Ground High School
358 Springside Ave., New Haven, CT 06515
Leave A Comment