This position has been filled. Please see our Join Our Staff page for current openings.
Common Ground High School, founded in 1997, is the nation’s oldest environmental charter high school. We use our unique 20-acre campus as a laboratory to provide challenging, relevant learning experiences that develop academic excellence and prepare our students for college. With only 195 students, Common Ground is able to challenge and support each individual as they attain the knowledge and skills they need to be engaged citizens, powerful environmental leaders, and successful college graduates. Over 90% of Common Ground students go on to college, bringing with them the unique perspective that comes from the mix of real world experience, small school support, environmental awareness, learning through leadership and consistently high academic expectations provided by Common Ground High School. At Common Ground, a truly diverse community of 195 students from 16 different towns experiences a mix of high academic standards, active learning and leadership opportunities, and small school supports that are producing dramatic educational results.
The part time Special Education Teaching Assistant (TA) position is responsible for supporting the Special Education teachers in the resource classroom as well as in an inclusion setting with Regular Education teachers.
Responsibilities of the SPED TA are as follows:
- Assisting Special Ed teachers with instruction in the resource room as well as Regular Ed- teachers in the classroom.
- Support will include individual and small group instruction, facilitation of on-task behavior, and implementation of students’ IEPs, including accommodations, goals, etc.
Additional TA Responsibilities:
- Assist with collaterals, including supervision of common areas during lunch and passing times.
- Provide substitute coverage throughout the school year for resource class as needed
- Attend all school assemblies and functions that happen during the work day.
- Check work-related communication, including e-mail
- Arrive on time to report to assigned classes
- Communicates with teachers and other supporting staff for the purpose of assisting in evaluating progress and/or implementing IEP objectives.
General knowledge of the practices, methods and techniques used in the teaching of special education population
- 4-Year Degree preferred
- Experience working with individuals with special needs.
- Experience working with a diverse population of students.
Please send resume and cover letter to: Keith Johnston, Assistant Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Common Ground is particularly eager for candidates who help us fulfill our commitment to building a racially and culturally diverse faculty and staff.
It is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School that no person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or otherwise discriminated against under any program, including employment, because of race, color, religious creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, civil union status, sexual orientation, mental retardation, and past/present history of mental disorder, learning disability and physical disability.
It is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to age, color, marital status, civil union status, national origin, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender in all personnel actions, including recruitment, evaluation, selection, daily interactions, promotion, compensation, training and termination.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), as amended, it is the policy of the New Haven Ecology Project, Inc. and Common Ground High School not to discriminate against protected qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in all aspect of employment.
Leave A Comment